Thursday, November 11, 2010

10 thoughts (some rants) from an unemployed me


1. No, I don't have a job yet. Believe me, when I get a job you will be among the first to know. There will probably be a party involved.

2. Yes, I am looking for a job. Every day. Yes, I know where to look. Yes, I know what jobs to apply for. Yes, I have heard of Indeed.com, Monster.com, Craigslist, YahooJobs, CareerBuilder.com, etc., etc., etc. Yes, I have applied for jobs. Many of them. Leads and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. But don't assume that if I don't have a job a week after your suggestion, I didn't follow your advice or didn't take your lead.

3. Yes, I know that networking is the best way to find a job. Yes, I am doing that too.

4. When you invite me out to dinner, in no way do I expect you to pay. When you do, it is so sweet, and it is much appreciated but never an expectation.

5. Please don't exclude me from plans because you assume I can't afford it. That's my call. If I can't afford it, I can't afford it, and I will say "No, thanks!"

6. I may seem easy-going and non-chalant about the whole thing. Have we met? That's how I do. Yeah, I'm posting goofy videos on my blog and making jokes about how much time I have on my hands. But I'm not lazy. I'm not lying on the couch all day watching Oprah. Well, I'm watching Oprah. Let's not get crazy. But make no mistake, I'm taking this very seriously.

7. In direct contrast to #6, I may lash out at you. Losing your job is a pretty humiliating/embarrassing experience and dealing with the above (especially Items 1-3) brings out defensive Jen. Not an excuse though. If I have lashed out at you and not apologized then I'm a jerk, and you should call me out on it.

8. I am one of the most responsible people you know. That didn't change when I lost my job. 

9. I was laid off 3 months ago. Yeah, that's a long time. The average length of unemployment as of October, is 8 1/2 months. Not to say I get to coast for another 5 1/2 months. But don't count me out just yet.

10. I hope this never happens to you.

No comments: