Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween

I had a scare this morning unrelated to it being Halloween. I saw a really bad wreck on my way to work. I was scooting down the left hand lane of the interstate and I see in my peripheral vision what looks like someone in the median crossing from one side of the interstate to the other. (I hate when people do that by the way...go up and exit and turn around for crying out loud.) I soon realize that this person is not slowly crossing the median but flying out of control and heading my way. I quickly get over a lane and see this SUV hit the dip in the median and start rolling. Thankfully, it came to rest in the median and did not cross over onto my side of the interstate. If it had, I think it would have hit me. It was too close. And you always get that weird feeling after you see a bad wreck or have a close call. You slow way down and really start paying attention to every little thing. I was sure that the person had died because the car came to rest on its roof, but I checked online and didn't see anything. I hope that person is ok. It's one of those things that just makes you stop and think. It freaked me out a little.

In other news, it's Halloween. I don't remember Halloween being a huge deal for me as a kid. Of course, I dressed up and went trick or treating in my neighborhood. That was back when you actually knew your neighbors' names. Sure, there was that one house you avoided because you were convinced the widowed lady that lived there was a witch. And the house you tried to go to twice because you remember that they handed out full size Hershey bars last year. I don't think kids even go trick or treating anymore. I heard something on the radio this morning about trunk or treating. That's where groups of people get together and park their cars in a parking lot, decorate their trunks, and the kids go from trunk to trunk to get candy. What the hell is that about? Sign of the times, I suppose.

Embarrassing fact about me: the last time I went trick or treating, I was 14. That's right, I was in high school. No, I was not very popular in high school, why do you ask? I went with a friend of mine who lived down the street, who also thought it was completely appropriate to trick or treat at 14. Of course, I found out years later that that free-spirited attitude and eccentricity I admired in my friend was actually schizophrenia. True story.

Until next time...

No comments: