Friday, January 05, 2007

Needed: Karma's Address

Dear Karma,

I hope this letter finds you well. Please know that although I don't write very often, it certainly doesn't mean I don't care. We've had some interesting times you and me. Why, just the other day, I thought of that time that I drunkenly "borrowed" a pen from Joe's on Juniper. You said, "You rascal, I shall bestow upon you a rash of car accidents!" Three actually. I got the message, Karma...I returned that pen and the accidents stopped. Ahhh...good times.

I feel as though you have graced me with your presence once again. This morning I got a call from the VP of my company telling me that come May, yours truly may no longer be employed with this company. Certainly not what I expected on a Friday. After the shock of that call, I started thinking about you. And I think I know where this is coming from. Yesterday, I sarcastically referred to B as Socrates then proceeded to call her, well....a rocket monkey. Truly, Karma, it was all in jest. But in all fairness, I apologize for my insensitivity. B was simply asking a philosophical question, and I should have treated it with seriousness:

"Is TM night still called TM night when it is not at TM?"

I say, yes. I think TM night has transcended the specific restaurant we happen to be dining at. It's really about the social interaction.

About the rocket monkey thing. Are you familiar with the origins of the space industry? Monkeys were used in the late 1950's in order to demonstrate that humans could safely be sent into space. They were brave pioneers. Without them, where would we be today? See this Wikipedia article on the subject: rocket monkeys are awesome. While you may see it as an insult, it was really a compliment. Despite that, I do apologize publicly to B, or anyone else in her social circle who may have suffered from my comments.

I do hope you will take these sentiments into consideration while deciding my fate. I wish you all the best in this new year.

Humbly yours,
Jennifer

No comments: